MEET OUR GUESTS!
The Gateway Locomotives are a group of St. Louis youth athletes with developmental challenges who love ice hockey. The Locomotives play the game we love in an environment adapted to their level of ability.
The Locomotives demonstrate the qualities inherent in the best of athletes...and people:
We can't wait to welcome them on March 10-12 and learn from one another!
Hockey4All is a weekend being organized by a Louisville youth hockey player (who formerly lived in St. Louis and got to know the Gateway Locomotives there). It will be held at Louisville's Iceland Sports Complex to:
-honor the Gateway Locomotives who embody the best part of the game we love
-showcase the Locomotives' character and ability, especially to Louisville youth who face similar challenges and don't have a similar team to cheer on;
-give Louisville kids with developmental challenges to try ice skating and basic ice sports, facilitated by local kids who skate
So, in addition to hosting two "friendship games" in which current youth hockey players from Louisville (abandoning team rivalries to play under the name of "Louisville All-Stars"!) will play alongside and against the Locomotives, we'll also be hosting a YES YOU CAN, Learn to Skate for Louisville youth with developmental challenges!
WE NEED YOUR HELP -
TO GIVE A DERBY CITY WELCOME!
We want to provide a warm welcome for these athletes and their parents, show them the best of Louisville, and showcase the possibilities of ice sports to youth with developmental challenges in Louisville (including a FREE 1-hour "Learn to Skate" session for youth with developmental challenges!). To do so, we need your help!
The Gateway Locomotives have already been invited to participate in special guest tours of Churchill Downs, the Muhammad Ali Center, and the Louisville Slugger Museum. Still, hockey players eat a lot - and there are costs our group of youth host will be working to cover. If you can help, we'd love to receive:
1. Financial Donations: tax deductible donations can be made to offset weekend costs through our secure Crowdrise platform. These donations will funnel directly to the Gateway Locomotives, a 501c3 organization. Donate to our Crowdrise here!
2. In-Kind Donations of Catering/Food: we plan to host all the players together for three meals (the welcome pizza night, lunch for players on Saturday, and a closing breakfast on Sunday)
3. Prizes for Players: these might include sports tickets, equipment, store or restaurant gift cards. These will be announced and distributed at our closing event
JOIN OUR TEAM!
The Louisville All-Stars team is made up of current youth hockey players who will be abandoning traditional rivalries to play against and alongside the Gateway Locomotives as part of Hockey4ALL Weekend. Each player will commit to participating in all weekend activities and is requested to raise or donate $100 to offset the costs of this special activity.
Have you received an invitation to join the Louisville All-Stars? Or, are you a youth (between the ages 14-18) who plays hockey on a Louisville team and wants to add your name to the Louisville All-Star roster? Click Here!
Do you have a child with developmental challenges who would like to receive a FREE 1-hour "Learn to Skate" session with the All-Stars, Locomotives, and other volunteers? Click the image above or click here!
We're going to need many people on and off the ice to ensure a great weekend, serving in the following roles:
1. Registration Team (Adults and Youth ages 13 and up): help support the arrival of players and fans at the rink on Saturday, March 11, take donations, answer questions
2. Game Referees: must hold valid Referee credentials
3. Photographers/Videographers: you don't have to be a pro at either function - just be willing to jump in with action shots
4. Bench Personnel: running the game clock and music
5. YES I CAN! Skating Session Assistants: Having seen the Gateway Locomotives in action, we hope that area youth with developmental challenges will want to take to the ice. To assist them with their time on the ice, we are looking for adults and youth who have solid skating skills to volunteer with a one hour on-ice session.
Friday, March 10
7 p.m. Locomotives arrive Louisville and Check in
8 p.m. Welcome Pizza Party and Movie/Board Games
Saturday, March 11
9 a.m. Locomotives VIP Tour of the Louisville Slugger Museum (box lunch follows)
11:45 a.m. Locomotives VIP Tour of the Muhammad Ali Center
2:30 p.m. Friendship Game #1
Locomotives VS. All-Stars
3:30 p.m. "YES, YOU CAN" Learn-to-Skate Session for Louisville Youth with Special Needs to Meet and Skate with the Locomotives and All-Stars!
5:00 p.m. Dinner at the Rink for the
Locomotives (and All-Stars, if desired)
6:45 p.m. Friendship Game #2
Locomotives/All-Stars Mixed Teams
Sunday, March 12
9 a.m. Skills Competition, Shinny Hockey Showdown and Pancake Breakfast, concluding with Weekend Prize and Award Presentations
Noon Locomotives VIP Tour of Churchill Downs Museum
followed by return to St. Louis